History

Since its inception in 1880, Exide remains the first and foremost battery brand in India. Exide's journey dates back to as far as the 1880s when the automobile battery was at its infancy and evolving to maturity step by step.

While the lead acid battery had been discovered in 1860, storage batteries began to be produced by Mather & Platt in the 1880s. The batteries - or accumulators as they were then called - followed a design in which Lead Chloride was the active material. Accordingly, the new company was christened Chloride Electrical Storage Syndicate.

One of the critical ingredients in making the plates of such a battery was oxide. Having perfected the technology, Chloride coined the brand name "Exide", a derivative acronym from the term 'Excellent Oxide'.

After the USA emerged as a major automobile market, Chloride entered into a joint venture with the Electrical Storage Battery Company of Philadelphia and began promoting the 'brand Exide'. As a result, both Chloride and brand Exide reached far-flung parts of the globe (including British colonies) as part of the British Empire's industrialisation process.

Evolving into Excellence

  • During World War I, Chloride engineers developed a lightweight, non-spillage battery to operate thousands of airplane radio sets and numerous radio stations.
  • Over the years, Exide batteries contributed to many major developments in exploration and communication.
  • In 1934, an Exide deep-cycle battery was the sole source of electrical power at a military base in Antarctica.
  • Exide batteries also provided power for Piccard's balloon flight.

The Company was incorporated as Associated Battery Makers (Eastern) Ltd., on 31st January, 1947 under the Companies Act, 1913 to purchase all or any of the assets of the business of manufacturers, buyers and sellers of and dealers in and repairers of electrical and chemical appliances and goods carried on by the Chloride Electric Storage Company (India) Ltd, in India , since 1916 with a view thereto to enter into and carry into effect (either with or without modification) an agreement which had already been prepared and was expressed to be made between the Chloride Electric Storage Co (India) Ltd on the one part and the Company of the other part. The name of the Company was changed to Chloride India Ltd on 2nd August, 1972. The name of the Company was again changed to Chloride Industries Ltd. vide fresh Certificate of Incorporation dated 12th October, 1988. The name of the Company was further changed to Exide Industries Ltd. on 25th August, 1995.

The Company manufactures the widest range of storage batteries in the world from 2.5 Ah to 20,400 Ah capacity, covering the broadest spectrum of applications. The Company has also recently forayed into manufacture and sale of Home UPS/Inverters. The Company has seven battery manufacturing facilities strategically located across the country – three in Maharashtra, two in West Bengal, one in Tamil Nadu and one in Haryana. In addition, the Company also has two Home UPS/Inverter manufacturing facilities in Uttarakhand. The Company’s predecessor carried on their operations as import house from 1916 under the name Chloride Electrical Storage Company. Thereafter, the Company started manufacturing storage batteries in the country and have grown to become one of the largest manufacturer and exporter of batteries in the sub-continent today. Exide separated from its UK-based parent, Chloride Group Plc., in 1989, after the latter divested its ownership in favour of a group of Indian shareholders. The Company has grown steadily, modernized its manufacturing processes and taken initiatives on the service front. Constant innovations have helped the Company to produce the world’s largest range of industrial batteries extending from 2.5 Ah to 15000 Ah and covering various technology configurations.

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes